When we need you:
04 Jul - 07 Oct 2011
Fernhill Court, Balsall Street, Balsall Common, Coventry, CV7 7FR
Do you want to be a major part of one of the UK’s most successful fundraising events, gain unrivalled charity fundraising, marketing, media and PR experience AND make a lasting difference to people living with cancer?
Each year around 800,000 people participate in our World’s Biggest Coffee Morning fundraising events across the UK, bringing together people from all walks of life. Combined, they raise an incredible
£8 million for Macmillan’s vital services.
We’re looking for someone to join our fundraising team based in Balsall Common to help manage and deliver our flagship event from beginning to end. This is a chance to gain fantastic skills and experience, be part of a supportive and inspiring team, and to help Macmillan improve the lives of 2 million people living with cancer.
As part of the Macmillan team, you will help to:
Raise more money for services for people living with cancer by:
· Growing our flagship World’s Biggest Coffee Morning event
· Organising your own fundraising or launch event
· Helping supporters increase their coffee morning fundraising
Raise awareness of who we are, what we do and how people can get involved by:
· Working on marketing and PR for World’s Biggest Coffee Morning
· Securing media coverage for the event, sourcing supporters’ stories and case studies, writing press releases and arranging interviews and photo calls
· Arranging for local dignitaries to attend events
· Identifying and developing key relationships in the local community e.g. with businesses, groups and individuals
· Talking about Macmillan to the local community and giving presentations to supporters
Give our supporters the best possible experience by:
· Providing them with excellent donor care and organising donor care events
· Attending their events as a Macmillan representative
· Letting them know how they make a difference
· Feeding back your own ideas and suggestions based on your experience
What skills and abilities will I need to have?
· Strong organisational skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
· The ability to use your own initiative within specified guidelines
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail
· Confidence in building rapport with supporters by phone, in writing and face to face
· A demonstrable ability to work as part of a team
· Well versed in Microsoft Office applications, especially Microsoft Word and Excel.
· Enthusiasm for the cause and ability to represent Macmillan Cancer Support
· Willingness to follow Macmillan policy e.g. health and safety, equal opportunities, confidentiality and financial guidelines
How much time should I offer?
This is a 3-5 day a week role, Monday to Friday, from 4 July to 7 October 2011
What are the benefits to me?
This opportunity is aimed at people interested in fundraising, events, PR or marketing and those wanting to move into the charity sector. You will:
· Gain hands-on experience of our flagship fundraising event from start to finish
· Develop skills such as: presenting, PR, events management, marketing, donor care, planning and strategy, working with volunteers, project management and research
· Gain experience of how a big, successful national charity works
· Enhance your CV and gain written references at the end of your internship
· Be part of a supportive, lively and fun team who will facilitate your development
· Get to meet hugely inspiring Macmillan supporters and volunteers
· Help make a real difference to peoples’ lives
· Get lots and lots of cakes and coffee!
What support and guidance will I get?
· A comprehensive induction and information pack containing guidance on everything you’ll work on
· A World’s Biggest Coffee Morning training day for all 36 interns
· Training on our databases and any further on the job coaching needed for the role e.g. public speaking
· Clear objectives, a work plan, regular review meetings with your Fundraising Manager and opportunities for feedback
· A mentor and help in developing your CV (should you want it)
· Opportunities to network with staff, volunteers and other Interns during the placement
· A wrap-up day and a chance to celebrate your success
Will my expenses be paid?
The internship is unpaid but we pay volunteers’ “out-of-pocket” expenses within agreed guidelines which will cover your lunch and travel.
Where will I be based?
Balsall Common, Coventry
Will I need my own transport?
In some locations having your own transport, or at least a driving licence, will be essential. If so, this will be specified on the application form for the area you are applying to.
You need to fill out an application form and return it to the local contact by 5pm on Tuesday 31 May 2011
To complete an application form go to www.macmillan.org.uk/interns We will acknowledge your application and let you know if you have been shortlisted for interview.
There are no volunteers on this opportunity yet, why not be the first to join?
Share your experiences, upload some photos at anytime during or after your volunteering activity.