UCH Macmillan Cancer Centre Welcomers and guides London, WC1E 6DH
The crucial first contact a patient or their loved ones meet on arrival at the UCH Macmillan Cancer Centre
When we need you:
- Weekdays and Evenings
UCH Macmillan Cancer Centre , Huntley Street, London, WC1E 6DH
From the moment a patient or their loved ones arrive at the UCH Macmillan Cancer Centre, we want them to feel reassured, comfortable and supported. As the first person they meet, your greeting will make all the difference.
You will support them in understanding the services available in the Cancer Centre, how to access them and, where needed, you will guide them around the centre, take them on tours or to their appointments. In quieter periods, you might sit with patients whilst they are waiting, providing a listening ear and helping to ensure their comfort and well-being.
What activities will/could I be involved in?
· Welcoming patients into the UCH Macmillan Cancer Centre
· Guiding or escorting patients to the services they need e.g. check-in, specific departments, the Macmillan Support and Information service, transport booking, pharmacy etc
· Ensuring patients get to where they need to be on time and are waiting for their appointments in the right places
· Taking individuals/ groups of patients and their families on tours around the centre
· Accompanying patients whilst they are waiting, helping with orders from the café and shop
· Answering general enquiries about the centre
· Assisting patients with the check-in system for their appointments
· Keeping reading materials up to date in the waiting areas
Is there an induction and training?
· You will receive a full induction when you start
· We will provide the training you need to for the role
What ongoing support/guidance will there be?
· You will be part of the Cancer Centre Outpatients’ team
· In addition to your induction and training you will have regular catch ups with your manager (frequency will depend on your time commitment)
· Staff on hand for debriefs/emotional support if needed
· The opportunity for volunteer peer support and regular get-togethers
What skills and abilities will I need to have?
· Strong customer services skills
· Strong communicator
· Empathy and positive attitude
· Fully mobile
· Willingness to commit to role-related training
· Willingness to adhere to Cancer Centre policy, the Data Protection Act, Infection Control Policies, health and safety regulations and to maintain patient confidentiality
· You must be over 18 for this role
· Because this role involves working directly with patients, we cannot recruit volunteers who are currently or recently (within the last two years) affected by cancer, either as a patient, carer or family member, or have been bereaved during the last two years.
There are no volunteers on this opportunity yet, why not be the first to join?
Share your experiences, upload some photos at anytime during or after your volunteering activity.