When we need you:
19 - 21 Jul 2012
- Weekdays and Weekends
â€¢ Date tbc: a two hour project meeting â€¢ Thursday 19 July, 6 â€“ 10pm, rehearsal at Durham Cathedral â€¢ Friday 20 July, 6 â€“ 9pm, dress rehearsal at Durham Cathedral â€¢ Saturday 21 July, 12 â€“ 9pm, two performances at Durham Cathedral
Durham Cathedral, Durham, County Durham, DH1 3EH
A Sign in Space
Saturday 21 July 2012, 3pm and 7pm, Durham Cathedral
100 young people â— Violin â— Harp â— Choirs â— Big Band â— Choristers â— Organ â— Digital Sound
On Saturday 21 July, 100 young people will take over Durham Cathedral to perform the world premiere of A Sign in Space. Anglo-Greek composer John Kefala-Kerr has collaborated with young people from County Durham to create a sound opera inspired by Italo Calvino’s short story of the same name. The composer has worked with young people from the County Durham Big Band and Choir, Durham Cathedral Young Singers, Tudhoe Grange School, Spennymoor and Cathedral Choristers to interweave choral, live instrumental music and ‘cosmic’ sound treatments into one piece.
Produced by The Forge in association with Durham Cathedral and Durham Music Service as part of Sounding the Sacred, a participatory arts project.
Can you help?
The Forge (www.intheforge.com) is looking for volunteers to support the project performances.
Ideally you will be:
· At least 18 years
· Able to commit to all days
· Enthusiastic, flexible and unflappable
· Confident and friendly in your approach
· Interested in working in the cultural sector
· Interested in working with young people
Volunteers will be supporting performances, and will be supported by the Producer and Floor Manager. Roles will include: directing and signposting VIP guests; seating the audience; managing the box office; distributing programmes; and collecting audience feedback/evaluation.
· Date tbc: a two hour project meeting
· Thursday 19 July, 6 – 10pm, rehearsal at Durham Cathedral
· Friday 20 July, 6 – 9pm, dress rehearsal at Durham Cathedral
· Saturday 21 July, 12 – 9pm, two performances at Durham Cathedral
Working with us will provide you with opportunities to: gain event management experience; work alongside cultural sector professionals; and develop your networks in the cultural sector.
We are able to reimburse transport costs (equivalent to standard class or pay mileage at £0.40 per mile) and provide you with £10 per diem for Thursday and Friday and £20 for Saturday.
Interested or want further information?
· Call Fiona Melvin or Tony Harrington for an informal chat.
· Apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 9 July stating: your full name; date of birth; contact number and email address; and a brief paragraph describing why you are interested in working with The Forge. If there is a particular role that interests you, please tell us in your email
T: 01207 284 515
There are no volunteers on this opportunity yet, why not be the first to join?
Share your experiences, upload some photos at anytime during or after your volunteering activity.