Dementia Helpline Volunteer Listening skills - Ipswich, IP2 0BP
Use your excellent listening skills for a few hours a week to support people living with dementia
When we need you:
- Weekends, Evenings, and Flexible
Sue Ryder - The Chantry, Chantry Park, Hadleigh Road, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP2 0BP
Are you a good listener?
Would you like to offer support to people in Suffolk affected by dementia?
Sue Ryder is looking for volunteers to support the Suffolk Dementia Helpline. The helpline provides emotional support and a place for people to talk about their experiences and feelings in confidence.
There are volunteering opportunities both during office hours as well as evenings with the option of working from home. We provide comprehensive training, all you need is the ability to listen and the desire to support people affected by dementia.
As part of the team you will:
- Answer incoming calls in a professional manner
- Provide emotional support to callers without disclosing personal information
- Actively listen to the caller
- Show empathy to the caller and respond sensitively
- Keep a written log of the nature and duration of all calls
- Inform the on-call supervisor of a particularly challenging or concerning calls
Ideally we'll need you to do at least 1 shift every fortnight.
For this role, you will need to have:
- Good active listening skills and the ability to communicate clearly, particularly over the telephone
- Respect for other people’s points of view
- The ability to cope with feelings in potentially emotional situations
- The ability to maintain confidentiality and compliance with policies & procedures at all times
- Time to participate in regular group and one to one supervision
- The desire to be involved in a service supporting those affected by dementia and their carers.
This exciting new volunteer role provides an opportunity to work with nationally recognised organisations and to be involved in developing a service that will genuinely make a difference to people’s lives.
There are no volunteers on this opportunity yet, why not be the first to join?
Share your experiences, upload some photos at anytime during or after your volunteering activity.