When we need you:
28 Aug - 21 Sep 2012
Four days a week for four weeks
Alzheimer's Society, Devon House, 58 St Katherine's Way, London, E1W 1LB
Volunteer role description
Running Events Assistant Volunteer
Volunteers are vital to Alzheimer’s Society’s goal of improving the lives of people living with dementia. Thank you for giving your time. This role description is designed to give you clarity about what you are going to do and who will support you in it.
How does this role make a difference?
The Running Events Assistant Volunteer will provide a key role in supporting the very busy Running Events team. You will volunteer in Alzheimer’s Society central office delivering our running events and ensuring that our participants receive excellent customer care. The role will be involved with a range of exciting running events, including the Royal Parks Half Marathon, Virgin London Marathon and Bupa Great North Run. The role will be focused on customer care and will focus primarily on calling our Bupa Great North Run participants to offer them fundraising support and gratitude for running and raising money for Alzheimer's Society. There will also be an opportunity to attend the Bupa Great North Run with the Alzheimer’s Society fundraising team to help assist with logistical support on race day. This is an excellent opportunity to get experience and develop your skills in an extremely popular area of fundraising.
What will you be doing?
The role sits in the busy Running Events team and could include:
• Offering outstanding customer care including phoning event participants
• Research projects
• Data input
• Volunteer recruitment
• Event day preparation support
Volunteers are good at adapting to resource needs. So this role description highlights the kind of activity you may be involved with. Any variations will be discussed separately as part of the recruitment process.
Will the role be suitable for you?
No special qualifications or experience needed. The role may be ideal for you if you:
• Have previous customer care experience
• Have previous office based experience
• Have basic IT skills
• Are enthusiastic and able to communicate clearly
• Are looking to gain hands on events experience to progress in the events industry
• Preferably available to attend the Bupa Great North Run on 15-16th September (expenses will be paid)
How will you be supported in this role?
You will be managed by the Running Events Coordinator and you will also receive support from the wider Running Events team. You will receive regular one to one catch ups and reviews to ensure that you are getting the most out of your placement.
How much time will you need to give?
We are looking for someone who is able to commit to 4 days a week full time over a minimum period of four weeks. Ideally we are looking for someone to commit to working and assisting on all events from 28th August until 21st September 2012.
How will Alzheimer’s Society support you?
• You will receive a relevant induction for the role
• You will benefit from ongoing training and other learning and development opportunities
• You will be provided with one-to-one and/or group based support
• You will be reimbursed your agreed out-of-pocket expenses, in accordance with Society policy.
If you are interested please apply with a cover letter and a CV by emailing Adam Lewis firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date is Monday 20th August at 5pm. Interviews will be held that week.
Share your experiences, upload some photos at anytime during or after your volunteering activity.