When we need you:
03 May 2013
- Weekdays and Weekends
Wednesday to Sunday, 9 - 5pm
stepney City Farm, stepney Way, london, E1 3DG
Stepney City Farm is about to open a new Farm Shop and Cafe, serving simple, fresh, healthy food to our visitors. This is the perfect time to get involved in an exciting new community kitchen project, learn how to process fresh produce, prepare tasty simple meals and interact with all our wonderful visitors and volunteers.
Assistance with all aspects of running a kitchen is needed, also to help out with events and busy market days, so if you love fresh food, people and community spirit then this is the perfect opportunity for you.
Training will take place on 3/4/5/8/9 May ready for the Cafe opening, but there will be ongoing training. Training will also be provided in food hygiene and barista coffee making.
Front of house – customer service position taking orders, handling money, serving at tables, plating up orders, making teas, stock taking.
Barista – making coffees and hot milk based drinks
Market stall – manning the outside cake, sandwich and cold drinks stall on Saturday market days, taking orders and money
Chef – making fresh food every day for the café, including sandwiches, salads, soups, tarts and cakes as well as foundation foods like stocks, pastry and mayonnaise. Weighing in, cleaning and storing deliveries from SCF; Taking in and checking deliveries from other suppliers. Catering for parties and special events. Making lunch for the volunteers and staff every day.
Kitchen porter – washing up, sweeping, mopping, cleaning sides and walls, emptying bins and disinfecting bins, cleaning dishwasher and all heavy equipment, collecting deliveries as needed.
NB EVERYONE will take on kitchen porter duties every shift
• Taking orders at the counter and ringing them into the till
• Taking money at the till
• Bussing orders to tables
• Manning the sandwich and cake stall on market days,
selling products and taking money
• Clearing tables and cleaning tables
• Washing up, drying up and putting away plates, cups, cooking equipment, etc
• Sweeping and mopping the floor
• Cleaning down kitchen sides and walls
• Cleaning oven, hob and extractor filters (daily)
• Cleaning coffee machine (daily, training available)
• Weekly deep cleans, depending on day: cleaning fridges; cleaning cupboards;
• Processing the fruit and vegetable delivery from SCF for the café and shop – weighing in, cleaning, packing and storage
• Slicing meats for service (training required)
• Making soup / salads / tart before service
• Making cakes before service
• Joining the preserving team during seasonal gluts to make chutneys,
jams and preserves
• Making hot drinks to order (barista training available for coffee)
• Plating up orders
• Making sandwiches before service and to order
• Making lunch for the staff and volunteers every day.
There are no volunteers on this opportunity yet, why not be the first to join?
Share your experiences, upload some photos at anytime during or after your volunteering activity.